What Does Linux Mean To You? Steam Key Giveaway!

Sunday August 22nd at 3:00pm EST / 19:00 UTC the DLN family will be celebrating 30 years of Linux!

However, we’re starting one of the events today. Comment below about what Linux means to you and you’re automatically entered into our Steam Key giveaway.

We will randomly draw names live Sunday from anyone who posts below. The games we’re giving away include:

• Valheim
  • StarDew Valley
  • Ark Survivor
  • Wildermyth
  • Hollow Knight
  • Jupiter Hell
  • Tabletop Simulator
  • Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
  • Dusk
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Rimworld
  • Stellaris

You will get the Steam keys sent to you here in Discourse after the event. So make sure to look for a private message. You do not need to be present, though we hope you are there!

*Changed Ark Ultimate Survivor to just Ark Survivor. Steam states they don’t let you buy ultimate as gift because it’s personalized to your account.

5 Likes

In a single word?

F R E E D O M ! ! !

9 Likes

The amount of choice and control an end user gets over a Linux system is what really stands out for me. There’s the option to use Arch or Gentoo and build your own system exactly the way you want it, or to pick something that fits your needs out of the box. Even when choosing the latter option, “advanced” features may be optional but certainly aren’t hidden, so anyone who wants do dig into the systems internals and learn how stuff works is able to tweak and tinker to their heart’s content, which also makes it a great platform for learning about computers in my opinion.

6 Likes

The people in the Linux community are pretty high quality and help me grow as a person. I think they overshadow Linux because if Linux wasn’t there they’d simply build it.

9 Likes

To have a platform to create write draw comics and to have a built in community support . Also have a community to help me along my way is huge. To be a mod in some of the places has been honor . Also to have a community of friends is extremely nice I am not the most socialable guy in person but to have a community that cares. is big .

9 Likes

Great response. The Linux Community is a huge part of it.

Can I amend my answer to Freedom & Community?

7 Likes

if you want to lol :partying_face:

4 Likes

I learn something everyday whether it be from poking around in man pages, some community provided nugget or some obscure command I just happened to run across. @Ulfnic :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Freedom, collaboration and choice.

7 Likes

Adopting Linux is aligning with a community that priorities people, privacy, and productivity over profit.

Here is what I mean by that: Having been in the “computer business” for a period that now spans 5 decades, I have watched the development of winners and losers in the technology arena. The recurring pattern is always from

• innovation (great ideas become reality),
  • to standardization (everyone thinks it’s great),
  • to monopolization (someone wins the race – ethically or not), and finally
  • to exploitation (market share leads to profit over people – and even over emerging innovation itself).

Linux breaks the cycle of exploitation by focusing on freedom, privacy, productivity, and innovation without human (rights) sacrifice. In other words, this is an operating system that fosters a method of development that I can fully support without any ethical qualms.

8 Likes

Well I get more out of the hardware, gets better stability and no telemetry. Just my “one liner” //T

7 Likes

Nice Tnx all

4 Likes

Privacy is what brought me to Linux
Now I appreciate the freedom and I love the sense of community

8 Likes

What does Linux mean to me?

To me, Linux means I don’t have to ‘put up’ with being locked into poor quality closed source software defaults, annoying privacy violations, an organization which changes their policies or procedures without input, or signing away any rights as a user.

Because of Linux I feel like my software and hardware is mine!

8 Likes

Freedom to choose and make the distribution what I want/need. I only give up my privacy when I want too and fully knowing what I am getting myself into.

6 Likes

Linux means privacy, security, customization, and control. It means no vendor lock in and open protocols, open source, and freedom. It allows me to express myself through my technology and it allows me to utilize technology my way rather than how someone else thinks I should use it.

6 Likes

Linux gives me the freedom:

• to do what I want with my own hardware
  • to customise a DE or WM to my hearts content
  • to have privacy in the age of spyware proprietary software
  • And sometimes, to waste a lot of time, messing around and tinkering with my system :laughing:
7 Likes

Linux is Fun! It Its a hobby to learn about it, enoy it, and try new things constantly… What’s not to love? Been at it for over 20 years…

6 Likes

Creativity. What other OS gives you the ability to change/tinker basically anything/everything on your PC. For a creative person like myself it makes my heart sing.

6 Likes

It started with curiosity, leading to community, and eventually brought me here to troll Michael. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes