One Prediction Down | DLN Xtend 77

On this episode of DLN Xtend we discuss what EAC and Battleye coming to Linux means for Linux gaming.

Welcome to episode 77 of DLN Xtend. DLN Xtend is a community powered podcast. We take conversations from the DLN Community from places like the DLN Discourse Forums, Telegram group, Discord server and more. We also take topics from other shows around the network to give our takes.

00:00 Introductions
17:28 Topic- Anti-Cheat on Linux
31:45 Host Related Interest
43:35 Wrap Up
44:24 Extras

Host Related Interests

Wendy

Nate

• SparkFun Serial Basic Breakout

Matt

Join us in the DLN Community:
Discourse: https://forum.tuxdigital.com/
Telegram: Telegram: Join Group Chat
Mumble: https://destinationlinux.network/mumble/
Discord: TuxDigital Network servers to continue the discussion!

Contact info:
Matt (Twitter @MattDLN)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN@mastodon.online)
Nate (cubiclenate.com)

1 Like

When @mattdln made this prediction, I rolled my eyes, but only my microphone saw it. I am glad he was right on this and I look forward to trying some of these fancy games that require anti-cheat on the SteamDeck, whenever it arrives on my doorstep.

2 Likes

@CubicleNate i’m a blank slate on openSUSE; to someone used to Fedora and Debian what’s the arguement for openSUSE aside from expanding my horizons?

2 Likes

Nifty :lizard: logo? :rofl:

I kid, I’m actually pretty curious about this as well @CubicleNate

1 Like

In all seriousness, as much as I love openSUSE, the reasons are few for why I choose it over others but they are important for me.

1. BTRFS with Snapshots by default. Not a unique feature anymore but it is well done and the integration into the system, creating entries in the GRUB menu to boot from a read only snapshot is super valuable and I recently used it when Snapd broke in Tumbleweed at JUST the wrong time. Granted, it was only for a couple days but it happened to be a day I super needed it. I rolled back to the previous snapshot for the day I needed a particular Snap and rebooted into after I was done.
  2. Support for all the architectures I use - x86_64 of course but also, just as important, need 32bit to work for bespoke appliance machines that are often headless. Also, I love RaspberryPi and Pine64 and there are images for that too.
  3. Open Build Service - This is a super awesome system that I am still learning but building your own packages or meta packages is fantastically useful and makes managing multiple machines or specific configurations a beautiful thing.
  4. Super helpful community - I super enjoy the community there. Sure, there are some prickly people but they are few but so many are so helpful and knowledgeable that when I have questions in the forum or file bug reports, things just get done. I absolutely love it!
  5. Pretty great wiki of documentation. Lots of contributors, including me, so things are generally well written and it appears that there is continual activity in refining it.

The bottom line is, openSUSE is just right for me. It’s not bleeding edge but it isn’t stale either. Tumbleweed gives me the option to have a stable rolling release while Leap gives me a stable static release for those that are less tech savoy. I know that I can count on it just running and doing it’s thing.

If openSUSE were to disappear tomorrow, Fedora would likely be the next place I would go but it lacks the architectural support the openSUSE has. Debian would be the other distro I could go with, based on my hardware choices but it is often a bit stale for my liking.

I hope that sort of clears things up!

3 Likes