Your favorite commands/packages for collecting system information?

uname

$ uname -a
Linux server 5.12.7-300.fc34.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 26 12:58:58 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

CPU-X: A Linux remake of CPU-Z

lshw

$ sudo lshw -json
# Ulfnic: Showing a small clip of output below...
        {
          "id" : "cpu",
          "class" : "processor",
          "claimed" : true,
          "handle" : "DMI:0033",
          "description" : "CPU",
          "product" : "AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics",
          "vendor" : "Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]",
          "physid" : "33",
          "businfo" : "cpu@0"
$ sudo lshw -html > lshw_out.htm && YOUR_BROWSER_HERE lshw_out.htm

lshw

8 Likes

I use hardinfo. It’s in my repo:

• sudo apt-cache search hardinfo
  • sudo apt-get install hardinfo
4 Likes

At work when I am asked for this type of information, it’s usually across many, many servers. I usually use Ansible to pull the info with various parameters, depending what I am looking for.

2 Likes

I’m also a fan of CPU-X, and good old fashioned neofetch

5 Likes

Hadn’t heard of CPU-X before, Looks really good though, Big fan of CPU-Z on Windows so going to give that one a look and see.

One of my favorites is the inxi command, Lots of useful information in a fairly easy to read format:

4 Likes

My GOTO is inxi or neofetch as well. I like that inxi is easy to filter results with a single flag, no grepping required.

I always thought it would be amazing if Linux had a cpu-z equivalent but literally never searched for such a thing lol, good to know it’s there.

I use ifconfig a lot, although it’s deprecated now. The newer ip command is good too and has some nice ARP features I would usually have to install another package for.

2 Likes

I’ve used inxi, lshw, and of course neofetch (and screenfetch)…but never heard of cpu-x until today. TIL! I think i prefer cpu-x for interactive getting of the info, but inxi and lshw for outputting the info to a text file…regardless, all of these tools are so great!

Conky of course, the only one who gives the info in real time.

1 Like

I use neofetch for system information and bpytop for system status.

I love inxi. It has a lot of options to display hardware info. I mentioned it on the Terminal Tuesday thread.

1 Like

This is a good refreshment on these tools. You get so used to using the same one all of the time that you forget that you had forgotten about the others.

Hardware for Linux offers something called a Probe. It snapshots your computer’s hardware state and uploads it to their public database with a unique identifier allowing you to share it with a link and contribute to helping FOSS creators spots trends among many other things like the HDD/SSD Desktop-Class Reliability Test study.

Probes are available in AppImage/Docker/Snap/Flatpak format - how to guide.

They also use the database to create cool charts like these!

A few example screenshots:

Step aside distrowatch! Here’s the market share among probes last year…
(20.10/20.04/18.04 Ubuntu combines to 38.31%)

Display server market share among probes last year…

Desktop market share among probes last year…

1 Like

Ok, I might be at risk of revealing my age by saying this, but here goes…Back in the day, I used to work for a small company that supported small to medium sized business’s. I was a Novell Field Engineer and I often used a tool named ConfigReader to pull the config of a Netware server for each of my clients. It detailed some of the same information being listed here.

This post was a trip down memory lane for me.