Protonmail vs tutanota

I have been protonmail for two years now, but when my current deal ends I plan to swap to tutanota, the main reason being protonmail currently does not have an android app that works without google play services, which means no notifications which has caused me real issues in life at critical times!

Tutanota has an appon f-droid (yay!), but will not be able to use it with thunderbird (booo) but it does have linux desktop app (yay!).

Anyone with experience/thoughts on tutanota?

I have both, but only use the web clients, so I don’t know if this will help you. Also, I mostly use them as ‘junk mail’ folders. I think Protonmail has the most Gmail like interface (which I don’t like; I’ve never had a gmail account, but I think it’s weird). TutaNota’s interface is more like an e-mail client interface. That said “protonamail.com” is a lot easier to say than “T-U-T-A DOT I-O” when giving out an email address!

I switched from Tutanota to Protonmail when I heard they finally Open Sourced their mobile clients. I’m disappointed to hear they still require Google services to work. That explains why it hasn’t made it to F-Droid yet. What kind of Privacy focused service would require Google’s crap be on your phone?

It’s disappointing for sure. On their blog they say they are working on an app for f-droid, but there is no timeline on it!

I’m also interested in Tutanota, can you elaborate on why you switched to Protonmail ?

I am not sure about the play store but you do not need it to download ProtonMail for Android AFAIK.

I don’t really have a great reason for switching. I like @pm.me more than @tuta.io and feel Protonmail has the most staying power. I don’t want to commit to an email address and have the company behind it go under in a couple years.

1 Like

You can get the protonmail app by getting the apk from somewhere, but if you don’t have google play services then you will not get notifications. It also then becomes harder to keep updated. I’ve realised im an email hopper so going to have to get my own email domain to solve the issue of changing email addresses!