Project showcase/Programming Sub-Forum

It would be cool to have a sub-forum for Programmers/Enthusiast/Learning Programming

• Showcase Projects
  • Learn Programming(Linux - Web Development - Application Development)
  • Linux Project Collab(Find others to collab on projects with)
  • Project Suggestions(Suggest ideas for projects)
    9 Likes

I would like it, but I wonder if there’s need for it. When I tried to make showcase thread I ended up being the only one showing projects.

That’s cause many don’t know how to program and they don’t know where to get started with this even people who have an interest in it can learn and those that know how can work together. I wasn’t around when you posted it in applications or else I would have helped you out.

I agree that setting up kits, and setting up server services which do something useful, is plenty challenging enough for many people. You know, following a faint but fairly-well-blazed trail, still with plenty of adventurousness, and manly brain sweat. Programming is a level of challenge even beyond that. That’s akin to hacking a new trail through a dense jungle, where the going is much slower.

1 Like

Scripting is not that hard. You just need a good book or online source to learn from and a enough desire to stay with it.

One could start by making a list of all of the apps they use and write a bash script to automate the install of all of those apps.

There are online sites that have projects listed from easy to more difficult.

Perl is my native language, but I’m learning Python now.

1 Like

Some of us have only incomplete or obsolete projects to show, unfortunately. :upside_down_face: The closest thing to a “useful” project I’ve ever made was a Python script that set up an OverlayFS mount to get around Mod Organizer 2’s (a mod manager for Bethesda games) built-in VFS feature being broken in WINE. It was feature-complete, but then a WINE patch was released that fixed the VFS issue (mostly).

If I may offer a suggestion, one I’ve been exploring myself recently.

When I decided to learn to script I selected a popular book to learn a language that was popular at the time. I learned a lot about the language from that book. When I decided to learn Python, I followed the same process. I bought a popular book about Python and started to learn a lot about the language. I learned about the data types, builtin functions, the standard library. I began to write simple scripts. But soon, I realized that Something was missing. This became very apparent as soon as I bought an intermediate Python book that I couldn’t quite comprehend.

The missing piece had nothing to do with Python, it had everything to do computer science. The study of programming that is not language specific. Program design, functional programming, algorithms, and data structures.

Someone recommended another book that I teaches computer science, how to program, and teaches good program design while also teaching Python along the way. This book is available free online.

https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/

The value of learning good software design early on will save you from reading book after book. The book listed above will teach you not only how to write functions, it will teach why to write functions, and then it breaks functions down into components like clean interface design, encapsulation, refactoring, etc. These are good concepts to know no matter what language you use.

Hopefully, this will help others as much as it has helped me.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s possible, but I think it would be better to directly link to the Python 3 version of that same book: https://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/

Because Python 2 is deprecated and should only be used for existing projects. Those should actually converted to Python 3, wherever possible.

Otherwise great information @Mr_McBride

3 Likes

Good catch. I didn’t realize I had linked to v2.

Fixed.

I think an expansion on this idea would be great. It would be nice to have a sub-forum to showcase not only programing, but to also have a place to share other Linux produced output such as media, blogs, sites, ect. A way to give back or pick up collaborative momentum.

2 Likes