I have a 2009 Macbook Pro.
Core 2 Duo CPU
Nvidia 9400M GPU - Driver: 340.108/Nuoveau
- Distribution & Version: Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1
- Kernel information: 5.4.0-80-generic
- When did the issue start happening? Since installing Linux
- Did anything change that caused it? (hardware change, upgrade) NO
- What steps do you take that cause the problem? Normal use
I’ve long since installed Linux on this machine but I haven’t been using it very frequently so I never thought it was an issue. I have been using it much more frequently now and it’s really noticeable.
Upon boot the GPU is immediately sitting at 85 degrees. Using the Nuoveau driver it is about 87. These numbers come from a combination of
sensors, Nvidia X Server Settings and Green With Envy.
sudo apt upgrade pushes temperatures to 105 degrees or a little more sometimes. The fan runs at absolute maximum speed most of the time and I can’t even scroll web pages smoothly.
This machine used to be quiet when running OSX, I could use it to record audio in the same room but that’s not possible anymore. I have replaced the thermal compound on CPU and GPU but that hasn’t helped. I know Apple’s designs are normally thermally constrained but this is way beyond that. Is there any hope for my ol’ buddy?