- The year of the Linux desktop - give it a rest, get on and use it, develop it, explain it to people who show interest WHEN ASKED
- The Top 5 (or 10 or whatever) Linux Distros - for what? for who? on what platform?
- Conversely the 5 worst Linux distros - for what? for who? on what platform?
- Talking heads, who probably know a bit but have an over-inflated idea of their “rightness”.
- The bloatness of this or that distro - who cares, except folks working with really minimal hardware. A distro can try and include in it’s .iso the apps that a sizeable proportion of their target audience MIGHT want, or the least needed to get up and running and leave addng everything else to the user, or try and strike a balance. Hey, it’s their distro, they choose and the marketplace (users) will decide.
- I do NOT mind distro comparisons pointing out the strengths of weakness of distros for particular user, tasks, platforms.
- I do not mind reviews by people about why their choice is right for them, their use and their platform, just don’t go all absolutist on it.
- I think it’s good to discuss how to explain Linux and it’s advantages to INTERESTED people, but we should not be evangelical missionaries trying to convert the heathens - we will rightly be treated like I treat the Witness and Saits missionaries that drag me out of bed on a Sunday morning - with distain and colourful language.
Rant over, several things, articles, YouTube videos and blog posts prompted this rant and my insomnia has lowered my tolerance. Now to try and find some of the sleep I didn’t get last night.