I’m about to take the plunge and buy a new desktop PC to replace my aging i7-4790.
Does anyone use the i7-10700 or Ryzen 3800x, 3900x, 5800x or 5900x with Linux? If so, do you have any issues? Is everything running optimally? What motherboard and RAM do you use?
Any information/suggestions/advice would be really appreciated.
UPDATE: My use case is now work and play, so:
- Compiling loads of C/C++ projects (can take 30 minutes to clean build some projects on my current i7-4790).
- Building Android projects in Android Studio.
- Building a whole bunch of large Java projects.
- Compiling CUDA projects.
- Screen recording (have a hardware capture card for this).
- Some basic and light video editing (some videos are approx. 45 minutes).
- Messing around with VMs/containers.
- Light gaming (with Steam).
I’m not worried about getting something that’s overkill - I’m pretty sure I’ll find a way to use whatever I get