Installing Sailfish or Ubuntu on a Nokia 6.1

Hi there,

I did not know where else to put this question, sry;

I have a Nokia 6.1 phone (https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-6-1) ;

I wonder if anyone has tried to install either Ubuntu or Sailfish or maybe that /e/ thing on this phone, or at least a similar one, cuz pretty soon it is going to get pushed to android 11, and that creeps me out.

Thx.

AFAIK both OSes do not officially support the phone.

Of course nothing is preventing you to attempt to tinker with them to force an install but that requires more technical knowhow than the usual. If you choose this path, please post your progress (or failures here).

The main problem is that Nokia does not provide a way to unlock the bootloader on the Nokia 6.1. The official website only allows to unlock the bootloader on the Nokia 8, if I am not mistaken:

Some say that you can pay to get a third party to unlock your bootloader, but personally I would not go that route (for obvious security and privacy considerations).

That’s right, no official support from either. I wanted to check if someone took the chance despite that.

Tx for the link @gjasso, I’ll consider that too.

I got whiff that Postmarket OS can be installed onto an SD card and sort of dual boot; I am gonna try that, so I have less change to get a Nokia brick;

If I can get phone calls and SIMM messages, I’ll be happy, even if I have to drag android along.

Cheers.