Fedora 34 support "close lid and go to sleep"?

I just purchased a MSI Bravo 15 Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 16GB A4DDR-212IN laptop. I’m thinking about totally wiping out Windows and installing Fedora 34.

Does Fedora support the “close lid and go to sleep” capability? (I open the lid and all my apps are right there were I left them.)

This probably works fine. You can change the behaviour when the lid is closed too. Hibernate or sleep etc. This is usually a feature limited by the DE not the Linux distribution, though sometimes the kernel could have an issue or regression around the graphics card. Since the machine is AMD I’d hazard a guess that it works without issues.

Try it out with a live disk though…

1 Like

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

Which flavor of Fedora 34 do you think has the best integration with hardware? Gnome 40? KDE? Xfce? One of the others? Thanks. I’m guessing Gnome 40 is best but I’m a newbie.

Linux desktops primarily use either Wayland or XOrg as a compositor and GTK+ or QT for rendering UI elements. I don’t think any of those talk closely enough with the hardware layer to make a difference, that’s really the Kernel’s job.

Someone might correct me there if i’m wrong.

1 Like

I think you’re right. It’s a graphics driver thing and thus a kernel thing. What I meant is that some DE let you customize the behavior a little more than others I think as far as the power states go. At least, options available through the GUI. When in doubt, KDE has the most flexibility.

1 Like

About half the people I’ve communicated with say close lid sleep mode works good on AMD laptops and other half say it doesn’t work. Someone said another option is a utility or DE feature where you hit a key and the laptop goes to sleep. I’ll explore that. If you’ve heard of something like that, let me know. Thanks!

Something to bare in mind… there’s 5 different ACPI “power down” states.

Support for these vary across distros and hardware. There’s also usually ACPI setting(s) in BIOS but i’m not sure if the Kernel overrides them.

You’d want to make sure your desired ACPI mode is supported by your distro first and work your way down.

You could also try a brute-force approach and just attempt sleeping in various distros booting from a live usb.

1 Like

OK, thanks. A little more complicated than I anticipated, but no problem, I’ll start researching. Thanks for the details.
Issue resolved.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I didn’t know it was called ACPI or how many states there were prior to writing that post, :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you know what resolved the issue?

You got me pointed in the right direction for what to research re sleep mode. In about a week I should get the new SSD drives for my new laptop. Then I can finally install Fedora 34 and play around with the ACPI settings. I’ll probably have some more questions at that time. Thanks for your help! :slightly_smiling_face: