Fedora 34, Nautilus is installed but not found in search

Nautilus is installed on my Fedora 34 system but when I search for it nothing appears. How do I get Nautilus to appear in search? I want to run Nautilus like all my other apps.

Package nautilus-40.1-2.fc34.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
[m3110w@fedora ~]$

Nautilus is a Gnome project and Gnome names their app shortcuts generically even if the system has more than one text editor, image viewer, ect.

nautalis shortcut is just called “Files”
gedit is “Text Editor”
evince is “Document Viewer”
gcalc is “Calculator”
eog / Eye of Gnome is “Image Viewer”

Running “Files” will open Nautalis and unless you’ve installed more than one file manager it should be running your Desktop icon space.

1 Like

To add a little to what @Ulfnic is saying.

/usr/share/applications/*.desktop is where these files reside
org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop is the one in question.

Editing the file you will find some extra info (or just grep 'Keywords=\|Name=' /usr/share/applications/*Nautilus.desktop
Name=Files
Keywords=folder;manager;explore;disk;filesystem;nautilus;
Name=NewFolder

In this case the first two are what can be searched for to launch the appliction, the last Name is associated with opening a new folder.

You can copy these files into /home/$user/.local/share/applications and customize them if you like.

Ref:
https://developer.gnome.org/desktop-entry-spec/
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

1 Like

OK, thanks. That helps. I’m seeing a fair number of weird little quirks like this in Linux. From my experience, Windows has a lot fewer such quirks. I totally LOVE the whole idea of community driven open source (which is why I’ll stick with Linux), but all these little Linux quirks sometimes drives me a little crazy. Don’t worry, I’ll get used to them.

@grumpey Thanks for the reply. I read it a few times but I was not able to understand it. The fault is mine, I’m a newbie and I don’t have the background contextual knowledge to understand your suggestions. I’m sure they’re great, but they assume quite a bit more knowledge than I have. As I stick with Linux and go up the learning curve, I’m sure I’ll slowly gain the knowledge to understand.

1 Like

Level of quirkiness depends a lot on the distro and the DE (Desktop Enviroment). Fedora doesn’t personalize their editions of Gnome, KDE, XFCE, ect meaning it’s a pretty raw experience you’re expected to build on and configure. To users preferring a blank slate this is a big plus though it can be quite a climb for a new user.

Something like Kubuntu, Linux Mint, ect (but definitely not limited to these) are well rounded polished experiences that show just how brilliant Linux and these desktops can be when built out and configured by people who really know their stuff, think of it like buying a custom hotrob vs building one yourself. While i’m on Fedora, I always have a VM of Kubuntu on standby because it just works and I had a very hard time transitioning to Linux till I found Linux Mint MATE edition.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the quirks or finding the “right” distro to start from, just find a comfy home-base you like using and the rest you’ll absorb through osmosis and curiosity.

2 Likes

@Ulfnic Thanks for your reply, really helps me understand the larger context. In spite of the somewhat steeper learning curve, I plan to stick with Fedora cuz

1. (so far) it works well with my hardware
  2. I like the idea of a distro with the latest Linux kernels. I don’t know the details but I was told the latest kernels have the latest hardware support features and other features.
  3. Fedora updates tend to include more leading edge technologies (like Gnome 40, Wayland, Pipewire, etc.) and I intuitively like that.

The quirks aside, I don’t really pay attention to or care too much about the DE I’m using as long as it allows me to start apps and switch between apps in a reasonably quick way (and Gnome does that fine). I think almost all DEs can do that (albeit in different ways). I’m sure if KDE was the default DE in Fedora I’d also be happy with it.

Thanks for the info. Cheers.

PS: Just discovered Dash to Panel. Nice! Now I’m in DE nirvana. :slight_smile:

2 Likes