DLN Xtend 26: It's All About Choice

2 Likes

@TheWendyPower
@WendyG In late 2014 I bought a new camera and my graphic artist daughter insisted I use RAW. At the time I was embedded in the Mac world and using a basic i5 MacBook Air as my personal “personal computer.” So after buying an expensive camera, I found myself buying an expensive 15" MacBook Pro with a Quad Core i7, discrete graphics, and 4x the RAM in my little Air.

Seat of the pants, it was no faster.

I did a bunch of research and found that much photo software (Adobe’s) wasn’t taking advantage of my cores, threads, and GPU, I’d splurged a large amount of money on a much “better” Mac that wasn’t much better at the task I bought it to do.

The same applies at least somewhat to Linux photo software in 2020.

Again, a lot of research into this basic statement: most software does not need or even use the huge number of cores and threads that are the basis of the marketing competition between AMD and Intel. Again, a lot of research went into this next statement: the primary benefit of all those cores and threads isn’t user-facing application software but visualizations.

Here’s a link that touches on the complex relationship of hardware and, in this case, Darktable settings.

Improving image processing on low-end hardware (Linux, AMD, opencl)

@TheWendyPower

Thanks. What a pleasant surprise two wonderful female Linux fans in our group, both named Wendy.

2 Likes

The software does need to utilize the hardware for it to be of any use. Darktabkle with the AMD GPU Open-CL divers is much faster at processing then RawTherapee which doesn’t have that feature. GIMP is starting to bring in the ability to use Open-CL for more processing power. I hope to continue to see the software taking advantage of the hardware that we give it.

1 Like

Who else realized that they were reading this with Wendy’s voice?

1 Like

Yep every time lol.

@mattdln it sounds much better this time around! I think I can hear you settling into a workflow, or atleast finding something that does work well!

1 Like