Destination Linux 164: LBRY Interview with Jeremy Kauffman, Eric Adams Guest Hosts

4 Likes

Good show. I’ve used LBRY on and off for about a year. It’s made a lot of improvements during that time.

4 Likes

I’ve just started using over the last couple of weeks - and I have to say I’m mostly impressed with it!

2 Likes

Nvidia’s big step forward with their service was the acquisition of Mellanox, without that networking backbone, Nvidia would be stuck in the mud with their service.

1 Like

I tried LBRY, but it directly adds 800 MB to your system, because it is started at login. So I disabled the start at login and I probably will only use it through my browser Firefox.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried lbry.tv on anything but Firefox. I’ve heard some people say that using the app automatically downloads the videos, which I don’t really want to do or try out. Did you experience this?

It did not download anything during the say 10 minutes I tried that App, but I never watched a complete video.

Another excellent podcast. Great work team !!!

1 Like

If you love podcasting with Reaper: Do you already know the project Ultraschall? We are currently working on a Linux version! And we are always looking for helping hands.

The Desktop version is to participate in the seeding. It doesn’t download videos without your input but it does download stuff as you watch it to help seed others, similar to how torrenting works.

If you use LBRY.tv then you don’t have to seed it seems, just the desktop version does that.

I have never heard of this because of the not having Linux support but more likely the not speaking German part. :smiley:

That’s great to hear you are working on a Linux version and I look forward to trying it when that happens.

1 Like

Great interview with Jeremy Kauffman, and I give him kudos for the ambitious spec he and his team came up with, which underlies lbry.tv. lbry.tv has a lot going on behind the scenes: an open protocol (a bit like ActivityPub), an electronic currency, wallet servers, greylisting, blacklisting, etc.

1 Like

In this episode Stephan asked for a web / text editor. Years back I used Codelobster , as far as I know it’s not opensource and there is a free and professional version. I bought the professional version and was a satisfied hobby user.

1 Like

It can be substantially more depending on whether you are downloading and sharing the videos you watch. I’m up to 11 GB at the moment but I am alright with that because of how it distributes content.

I was not aware of this. I’d be happy to try it once the Linux version is available. I’ll echo that the German-only website is difficult for me to use. Not sure if you have plans to translate it but I think it would be a good idea.

2 Likes