Commercial games with native (and OSS) Linux clients?

Recently I fired up an old copy of Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind using the OpenMW client, and it’s really breathed life into that game for me. It’s always been a favorite but the original engine was really showing its age. I’ve since been playing around with other OSS clients like Quakespasm, ZDoom, and recently discovered Arx Libertatis. I’m curious - what other commercial games are there out there with open-source Linux clients?

For the sake of this discussion I’m talking about community-created projects and not Good Old Games ports (although those are awesome too).

3 Likes

I love OpenMW (although I have recently been having trouble with mods.) Some engines of this nature that I know of are:

• Daggerfall Unity: an open-source, modable, 3D port of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall using the Unity engine
  • OpenRA: an open-source engine for classic strategy games like Command & Conquer
  • ScummVM: an engine for retro point-and-click adventure games like Myst and Blade Runner
  • There’s also DOSBox, if that even counts
4 Likes

Nice topic!

And lots of stuff here:

3 Likes

Three more that come to mind:

https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH

3 Likes

OpenTyrian is a must for me, because I still think Tyrian is still the best top-down scrolling shooter of all time.

Bonus points that it references MicroSol as an enemy…

I didn’t realize that Tyrian was originally written in Turbo Pascal! That gives me warm fuzzies. It was my first language.

2 Likes