Call police if your child has installed Kali Linux, or Discord!

The UK’s National Crime Agency has publicly distanced itself from a poster urging parents to call police if their child has installed Kali Linux, Tor or – brace yourself – Discord.

Issued by the West Midlands Regional Organised Crime Unit (WMROCU) via local area councils, the poster in question lists a slack handful of common infosec tools – as well as some that clearly have nothing to do with computer security.

2 Likes

I saw that posted on LinkedIn and left a comment that ‘we don’t need attitudes like this’ and then asked where the dislike button is.

2 Likes

Yeah - the funny thing is one of the logo’s at the bottom of the ‘flyer’ was for the National Crime Agency - who immediately backed off saying they had nothing to do with this…

2 Likes

The whole thing is just funny.

It just goes to show, if you don’t know what you’re talking about then keep your pie-hole shut.

1 Like

Kali Linux had a nice answer to this :

https://mobile.twitter.com/kalilinux/status/1227703199584395267

3 Likes

It’s hilarious to get a glimpse in to the psyche of certain British government organizations. Unfortunately, it’s also terrifying - imaging if these organizations actually got their way!! I’m proudly teaching my 3 year old Linux. By the way, he uses Arch.

2 Likes

It is terrifying. If you see all the simple things people are arrested for now days, especially with their “Anti-Social” behavior laws. I saw once where the police wanted to arrest a guy for simply taking photographs in public. One guy was arrested for reading out loud, a Winston Churchill book in public! I am sorry to say, but it seems the UK has become the NAZI state it fought so hard against in WWII.

1 Like