Auto-updater for LibreWolf AppImages

LibreWolf hasn’t achieved widescale repo support yet for availability though there’s still plenty of options including AppImage and Flatpak format.

Personally I adore AppImages but i’ve never made the most of them so this is a rolling project for an elegant way to use LibreWolf as an AppImage. Please chime in if you have ideas/code/criticism/thoughts, i’m just going to be snow plowing through this thing and would love any guidance.

The biggest problem is making updates easy. The best place to check for updates appears to be their GitLab releases so i’ll need to pull that information, test it against last-known and download/deploy as necessary on a recurring job.

Progress 1: Getting project data from GitLab’s REST API
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/#project-resources

I need the project ID which is shown on the Project overview page. Be advised Dark Reader makes it invisible.

librew

The LibreWolf the project ID for Linux is: 12829184

That makes the root API call: https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184 (which returns basic project information).

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/releases/index.html#create-a-release

Checking the release API, the release information can be obtained by appending /releases so that’s: https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases

Everything’s there! The first instance of the array contains the latest build.

I could use the “name” value to assume what the download link will be though they may change the file naming scheme so it’d be better to get it from [0]assets.links[2]

I can’t depend on that being in the same order though so I should iterating through all of them for a pattern match.

I also have to parse the JSON and preferably without an extra program like jq :confused:

grab the file somewhat seperated
curl --stderr - https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";OFS="\n\n"} {$1=$1} 1' > ~/.cache/librewolf.tmp

grab the version
grep name ~/.cache/librewolf.tmp -m1 | cut -d \" -f 4 | sed 's/v//'

grab the urls for your arch for appimage
awk '/direct_asset_url/&&/AppImage/&&/87.0.1/&&/x86_64/' ~/.cache/librewolf.tmp

I’m sure there’s an easier way to do this …

1 Like

Wow… never considered replacing commas with \n, I probably would have done something ridiculous with RegEx but that makes it really easy to search.

Using -s with curl will get rid of the curl progress output in the tmp file.

I’ll probably poke at the search terms but that’s a really good solution.

Experimenting with a few more options with some quick scratch code…

BASH + Python

JSON=$(curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases')
printf '%s' $JSON | python3 -c "import sys, json; print(json.load(sys.stdin)[0]['name'])"
for i in {1..11}; do
	printf '%s' $JSON | python3 -c "import sys, json; print(json.load(sys.stdin)[0]['assets']['links'][$i]['direct_asset_url'])"
done

Output:

v87.0-1
https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/1fc8e9847abdef4281e70310f63381e3/LibreWolf-87.0-1.aarch64.flatpak.sig
https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/4c8bb4ed933bf5fbae3d6645d1152340/LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64.AppImage
...ect

BASH + jq

printf '%s' $JSON | jq '.[0].name'
for i in {0..11}; do
	printf '%s' $JSON | jq ".[0].assets.links[$i].direct_asset_url"
done

Output:

v87.0-1
"https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/1fc8e9847abdef4281e70310f63381e3/LibreWolf-87.0-1.aarch64.flatpak.sig"
"https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/4c8bb4ed933bf5fbae3d6645d1152340/LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64.AppImage"
...ect

BASH + NodeJS

node <<EOF
	const obj = ${JSON}
	console.log(obj[0].name);

const links = obj[0].assets.links
	for (let i=0; i < links.length; i++){
		console.log(links[i].direct_asset_url)
	}
	# Values need to be passed back to BASH, just showing how they can be pulled.
EOF

Output:

v87.0-1
https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/1fc8e9847abdef4281e70310f63381e3/LibreWolf-87.0-1.aarch64.flatpak.sig
https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/uploads/4c8bb4ed933bf5fbae3d6645d1152340/LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64.AppImage
...ect

Weighing the options

From what i’ve seen of Shell JSON parsing, there’s code that matches all property names as if there was no structure but nothing that can climb heirchachly. This’d be another option for a native solution though i’m still weighing the options. It’s a pitty there isn’t a Shell script that fully does JSON.

1 Like

Version checking

A better way of doing this might be comparing filenames instead of the last known version held in storage. If someone syncs their dotfiles across machines for example the updater may think it’s already updated when it hasn’t.

The issue with comparing filenames though is if LibreWolf adopts generic filenames without version numbers which’d make the updater think there’s never a new version.

That outcome could be solved by affixing another value into the filename like the id prior to checking and using that name for the AppImage when downloading.

Before: LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64.AppImage
After: LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64_187136.AppImage
Updater asks: Is this “LibreWolf-87.0-1.x86_64_187136.AppImage” present?

Deploying a new AppImage

As the filename will always be changing this’ll break shortcuts, the updater should creating/overwrite a softlink with the generic name librewolf that points to new file versions.

Proposed updater rundown

Every 12hrs… check the GitLab release JSON for a file change (including id affix). If there’s a change:

1. Alert the user of the version difference using notify-send if available.
  2. Download AppImage to ~/.cache with id affixed filename.
  3. Move the file to a user defined location for their LibreWolf AppImages (default?).
  4. Create/overwrite the librewolf softlink in the user defined location pointing to the new file (default? /usr/bin?).
  5. Delete the older version unless the user defines a folder for keeping older versions.
  6. Alert the user that the new version is ready.

For 3 and 4 i’m not sure if there should be defaults and what they should be?

As always (and for any post I ever make on the forum), please criticize if anything else could be better, even if just slightly.

Ermagurd! It took me a while to find these but they’re Shell/BASH/Awk scripts that only need basic packages like GREP and Awk to read JSON.

POSIX Shell: (Reader) low footprint:

Awk: (Reader) JSON.sh ported to Awk

BASH: (Reader and writer) emulates JS command syntax and utilizes BASH arrays

BASH: (Converter) Converts JSON to CSV opening the door to CSV readers

edit massive list of JSON CLI tools here: List of JSON tools for command line – Ilya's blog

Borrowing a bit of @grumpey’s Awk code, a one-line solution could be:

curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases' | \
grep -Po '"'"direct_asset_url"'"\s*:\s*"\K([^"]*)' | \
awk '/AppImage/&&/x86_64.AppImage$/ {print $1;exit;}'

Output:

1. curl downloads the JSON
  2. grep returns every value of every property that begins with “direct_asset_url”
  3. awk outputs the first match that ends in x86_64.AppImage which’ll be the latest release as new releases are located at the beginning of the array so older releases will come later in the string.

Improved the RegEx and included the Awk filter for a 1-search 1-line solution:

curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases' | \
grep -Po '"direct_asset_url"\s*:\s*"\K([^"\\]|\\.)*x86_64\.AppImage(?=")' | \
head -n1

RegEx breakdown:

1. "direct_asset_url"\s*:\s*"\K - Capture "direct_asset_url" proceeded by a : with any number of word, digit or whitespaces on either side followed by ". Then remove the captured string using \K and proceed with capture from that point.
  2. ([^"\\]|\\.)* - Capture everything that isn’t non-escaped " or a newline (captures \" ends at ")
  3. x86_64.AppImage(?=") - Require that the capture ends with x86_64\.AppImage and that a " follows right after.

See on RegExr: RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx

Not sure if it’s possible to do a “non-greedy” search with grep -P but for now i’m using head -n1 to just return the first match.

1 Like

LibreWolf AppImage auto-updater, working prototype:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# User adjustable variables
NotifySendTitle="=== LibreWolf Updater ==="
notify-send "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nVERBOSE TESTING:\n\nScript started successfully")" -t 0
StorageDirPath="$HOME/.appimages/librewolf_bin" # Where to store the binary (must be an otherwise empty folder strictly reserved for this script!)
LinkDirPath="$HOME/.appimages" # Where to put the generic symbolic link that the system should use to run the latest binary (named: librewolf)

# Create directories if they don't exist
if [ ! -d "$LinkDirPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$LinkDirPath"; fi
if [ ! -d "$StorageDirPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$StorageDirPath"; fi

# Download JSON from LibreWolf's GitLab releases and parse out the latest AppImage release
DirectAssetUrl=$(curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases' | grep -Po '"direct_asset_url"\s*:\s*"\K([^"\\]|\\.)*x86_64\.AppImage(?=")' | head -n1)

# Get the new and current binary filenames
NewFileName="${DirectAssetUrl##*/}"
CurrentFileName="$(ls "$StorageDirPath")"

notify-send "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nVERBOSE TESTING:\n\nCurrent: $CurrentFileName\nLatest: $NewFileName")" -t 0

if [ "$NewFileName" != "$CurrentFileName" ]; then
	notify-send "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nNew LibreWolf update available, downloading:\n\nCurrent: $CurrentFileName\nLatest: $NewFileName")" -t 0

# Download the lastest binary to cache
	cd "$HOME/.cache"
	wget "$DirectAssetUrl"

# Move the downloaded binary to the storage location and make it executable to the current user
	mv "./$NewFileName" "$StorageDirPath"
	chmod u+x "$StorageDirPath/$NewFileName"

# Delete the old symlink and create a new one pointing to the new binary
	if [ -f "$LinkDirPath/librewolf" ]; then rm "$LinkDirPath/librewolf"; fi
	ln "$StorageDirPath/$NewFileName" "$LinkDirPath/librewolf"

# Delete the older version of LibreWolf
	if [ -f "$StorageDirPath/$CurrentFileName" ]; then rm "$StorageDirPath/$CurrentFileName"; fi

notify-send "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nDeployed: $NewFileName\n\nClose all active LibreWolf sessions to use the new binary.")" -t 0
fi

notify-send "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nVERBOSE TESTING:\n\nScript ended successfully")" -t 0

The script will obtain the URL to download the latest AppImage from GitLabs API, it’ll then extract the filename from the URL and compare it to the one in the user defined binary directory.

Aside: It does this using ls because the script has no prior knowledge of the current version so this directory needs to be reserved exclusively for the script. I could do pattern matching for the binary like LibreWolf* but the simple ls method is far more forgiving of upstream file naming changes.

If the current binary filename doesn’t match the new one, it’ll download the AppImage into the user’s .cache, then move it to the user defined binary directory, delete the old symlink in the user defined symlink directory, create a new symlink and delete the old AppImage binary.

Summary:

This script enables auto-updating and seamless switching between LibreWolf versions on the fly. If an update occurs while LIbreWolf is running, a user just needs to close their LibreWolf sessions and re-open them to be using the new version.

librewolf-appimage-updater-rc1

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# If the user isn't root, prompt for root and run again.
if [ "`whoami`" != "root" ] ; then pkexec `dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")"`/`basename "$0"` ; exit ; fi

# Settings
NotifySendTitle="=== LibreWolf Updater ==="
AccessGroup="pc" # The group to be given read/execute permissions to the binary.
User="pc"
BinPathMain="/home/$User/.appimages/librewolf_files/bin" # Primary location for binaries
BinPathRamDisk="" # Optional: Copies the binary to this location and links to it instead
LinkDirPath="/home/$User/.appimages" # Where to place the generic symbolic link named "librewolf"
CachePath="$HOME/.cache" # Temporary download location
BinPathMainOnlyKeepLatest=0 # 1 = yes, WARNING DESTRUCTIVE: This'll delete any file containing "librewolf" in this folder that isn't the latest binary every download
BinPathRamDiskKeepLatest=0 # 1 = yes, WARNING DESTRUCTIVE: This'll delete any file containing "librewolf" in this folder that isn't the latest binary every download

function notify {
	notify-send "$1" -t 0
	# echo "$1"
}
function DownloadBin {
	notify "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nNew LibreWolf update available, downloading:\n\nCurrent: $CurrentFileName\nLatest: $NewFileName")"

# If present remove a previously failed download for this verion and download the lastest binary to cache.
	if [ -f "$CachePath/$NewFileName" ]; then \rm "$CachePath/$NewFileName"; fi
	wget "$DirectAssetUrl" -O "$CachePath/$NewFileName"

# Make the download a read-only executable that's private to the user and root
	chmod 550 "$CachePath/$NewFileName"
	chown root:$AccessGroup "$CachePath/$NewFileName"

# Move the download to $BinPathMain and copy the binary to $BinPathRamDisk.
	mv "$CachePath/$NewFileName" "$BinPathMain"
	if [ -n "$BinPathRamDisk" ]; then
		cp "$BinPathMain/$NewFileName" "$BinPathRamDisk"
		chmod 550 "$BinPathRamDisk/$NewFileName"
		chown root:$AccessGroup "$BinPathRamDisk/$NewFileName"
	fi

# Delete the old symlink if it exists and create a point the new one to the correct binary.
	if [ -f "$LinkDirPath/librewolf" ]; then \rm "$LinkDirPath/librewolf"; fi
	if [ -n "$BinPathRamDisk" ]; then ln -s "$BinPathRamDisk/$NewFileName" "$LinkDirPath/librewolf"
	else ln -s "$BinPathMain/$NewFileName" "$LinkDirPath/librewolf"; fi

# Clear directories of $BinPathMain and $BinPathRamDisk of anything with "librewolf" in the name that isn't the latest binary.
	if [ "$BinPathMainOnlyKeepLatest" == 1 ]; then \find "$BinPathMain" -type f -iname "*librewolf*" ! -name "$NewFileName" -delete; fi
	if [ "$BinPathRamDiskKeepLatest" == 1 ]; then \find "$BinPathRamDisk" -type f -iname "*librewolf*" ! -name "$NewFileName" -delete; fi

notify "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nDeployed: $NewFileName\n\nClose all active LibreWolf sessions to use the new binary.")"
}

# Create directories that don't exist.
if [ ! -d "$LinkDirPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$LinkDirPath"; fi
if [ ! -d "$BinPathMain" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPathMain"; fi
if [ -n "$BinPathRamDisk" ] && [ ! -d "$BinPathRamDisk" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPathRamDisk"; fi
if [ ! -d "$CachePath" ]; then mkdir -p "$CachePath"; fi

# Download JSON from LibreWolf's GitLab releases and parse out the latest AppImage release
DirectAssetUrl=$(curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases' | \
head -n1)

# Get the new and current binary filenames
NewFileName="${DirectAssetUrl##*/}"

# Check if the newest binary's filename is already present.
if [ -f "$BinPathMain/$NewFileName" ]; then
	# There's no new version
	notify "$(echo -e "$NotifySendTitle\n\nTESTING: $NewFileName\n\nNo new update.")"
else
	# Download new version
	DownloadBin
fi

What’s New:

• Added support for running LibreWolf from a RAMDisk
  • Notifications moved to a function so handling can be changed in one place.
  • Now applies 550 rx-rx— permissions to the binary and sets the binary’s group as the user’s group. This makes it so only the group and root can read/execute the binary.
  • Appended \ to rm and find to avoid potential alias conflicts.
  • Total code overhaul/clean-up
  • Increased reliability and the symlink is recreated if the updater see’s it’s missing.
  • User can specify:
    • Path for storing AppImages
    • Path to the RAMDisk (if using one)
    • Cache path for the download
    • Whether or not to keep only the latest version of the binary in storage and/or RAMDisk directories
      • Now only deletes files with case-insensitive “librewolf” in the name

Working prototype, initiating a RAMDisk for the LibreWolf AppImage:

# If the user isn't root, prompt for root and run again.
if [ "`whoami`" != "root" ] ; then pkexec `dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")"`/`basename "$0"` ; exit ; fi

# Settings
AccessGroup="pc" # The group to be given read/execute permissions to the binary
User="pc"
BinPathMain="/home/$User/.appimages/librewolf_files/bin" # The archive containing what
BinPathRamDisk="/home/$User/.appimages/librewolf_files/ram" # RAMDisk path

if [ ! -d "$BinPathMain" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPathMain"; fi
if [ ! -d "$BinPathRamDisk" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPathRamDisk"; fi

# Mount the folder as a RAMDisk, set permissions and copy the contents of $BinPathMain into it.
mount -t tmpfs librewolf_ramdisk "$BinPathRamDisk"
if [ "$(ls -A "$BinPathMain")" ]; then
	cp "$BinPathMain"/* "$BinPathRamDisk"
	chmod 550 "$BinPathRamDisk"/*
	chown root:$AccessGroup "$BinPathRamDisk"/*
fi

Note: If using with the updater script above, this’d need to be run first but don’t forget to populate $BinPathRamDisk.

librewolf-appimage-updater-rc2

Broken downloads are now deleted, major code cleanup and lots of unnecessary lines removed including the RAMDisk parts. If I want this to be easy to read that stuff really should be separate.

That and i’m also not seeing much speed benefit from running AppImages from a RAMDisk aside from first launch after boot, normal OS caching is pretty solid.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# User Settings
AccessGroup="pc" # Group that'll be able to execure the binary
BinPath="/home/pc/.appimages/librewolf_files/bin" # Primary location for binaries
LnPath="/home/pc/.appimages" # Where to place the generic symbolic link named "librewolf"
CachePath="$HOME/.cache" # Temporary download location
OnlyKeepLatestBin=0 # 1 = yes, will delete every file conatining "librewolf" inside $BinPath

function Notify {
	notify-send "=== LibreWolf Updater ===\n\n$1" -t 0
	# echo "$1"
}
function UpdateBinary {
	Notify "$(echo -e "New LibreWolf update available, downloading:\n\nCurrent: $CurrentFileName\nLatest: $NewFileName")"

# If present remove a previously failed download for this verion and download the lastest binary to cache.

# Make the download a read-only executable that's private to the user and root and move it to $BinPath.
	mv "$CachePath/$NewFileName" "$BinPath"

# Delete the old symlink if it exists and point to the new binary.
	if [ -f "$LnPath/librewolf" ]; then \rm "$LnPath/librewolf"; fi
	ln -s "$BinPath/$NewFileName" "$LnPath/librewolf"

# Clear $BinPath of anything with "librewolf" in the name that isn't the latest binary.
	if [ "$OnlyKeepLatestBin" == 1 ]; then \find "$BinPath" -type f -iname "*librewolf*" ! -name "$NewFileName" ! -name "librewolf" -delete; fi
	Notify "$(echo -e "Deployed: $NewFileName\n\nClose all active LibreWolf sessions to use the new binary.")"
}

if [ ! -d "$LnPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$LnPath"; fi
if [ ! -d "$BinPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPath"; fi

DirectAssetUrl=$(curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/12829184/releases' | \
head -n1)
NewFileName=${DirectAssetUrl##*/}

if [ ! -f "$BinPath/$NewFileName" ]; then UpdateBinary; fi

Welp… the LibreWolf team moved where the AppImage releases are published.

“Releases can now be found in their respective repositories:”

https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/browser/linux/-/releases

My thoughts in order…

1. This totally broke my script.
  2. My script didn’t tell me it was broken.
  3. I need it to tell me when it’s broken.
  4. AppImage auto-updaters will always be jenk.
  5. [ Insert dark musings over the state of AppImage delivery standardization ]
  6. AppImage auto-updaters can be minimally jenk!
  7. Being a very-side project, i’ll be at this several months before it’s minimally jenk.

New Features! v0.05

• Un-broken: Fetches from LibreWolf’s new AppImage repo.
  • No AppImages Warning: When updating, if the script fails to retrieve at least one AppImage url from the releases page it’ll complain:
Notify "Something's wrong! No releases found."
  • Installation instructions at top
  • Minor tweaks and adjustments

Planned

• Self installer
  • Icons download/installer
  • Shortcut installer (so it shows up in app menus)
  • Verbose mode
  • More error handling
  • Finish making functions fully argument driven… I may split this script up so it can be used to auto-update AppImages for other projects.
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# Version: librewolf-update v0.05

# Installation:
# sudo mv librewolf-update /usr/local/sbin/
# sudo chmod u+x /usr/local/sbin/librewolf-update

# Usage:
# sudo librewolf-update

# User Settings
AccessGroup="pc" # Group with read access to AppImage binaries
BinPath="/opt/appimages/librewolf/bin"
LnName="librewolf" # Generic symlink name for running the latest LibreWolf AppImage
LnPath="/usr/local/bin" # Symlink path
CachePath="/root/.cache" # Temporary download location
OnlyKeepLatestBin=0 # 1 = yes, will delete every file conatining "librewolf" inside $BinPath

function Notify {
        notify-send "[librewolf-update] $1" -t 0
        # echo "$1"
}
function UpdateBinary {
        Notify "$(echo -e "New LibreWolf update available, downloading:\n\nCurrent: $CurrentFileName\nLatest: $NewFileName")"

# Make the download a read-only executable that's private to the user and root and move it to $BinPath.
        mv "$CachePath/$NewFileName" "$BinPath"

# Delete the old symlink if it exists and point to the new binary.
        if [ -f "$LnPath/$LnName" ]; then \rm "$LnPath/$LnName"; fi
        ln -s "$BinPath/$NewFileName" "$LnPath/$LnName"

# Clear $BinPath of anything with "librewolf" in the name that isn't the latest binary.
        if [ "$OnlyKeepLatestBin" == 1 ]; then \find "$BinPath" -type f -iname "*librewolf*" ! -name "$NewFileName" ! -name "librewolf" -delete; fi
        Notify "$(echo -e "Deployed: $NewFileName\n\nClose all active LibreWolf sessions to use the new binary.")"
}

if [ ! -d "$LnPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$LnPath"; fi
if [ ! -d "$BinPath" ]; then mkdir -p "$BinPath"; fi

ReleasesInJson=$(curl -s 'https://gitlab.com/api/v4/projects/24386000/releases')
AppImageUrls=$(echo "$ReleasesInJson" | grep -Po '"direct_asset_url"\s*:\s*"\K([^"\\]|\\.)*x86_64\.AppImage(?=")')

if [ -z "$AppImageUrls" ]; then
	Notify "Something's wrong! No releases found."
	exit
fi

DirectAssetUrl=$(echo "$AppImageUrls" | head -n1)
NewFileName=${DirectAssetUrl##*/}

if [ ! -f "$BinPath/$NewFileName" ]; then UpdateBinary; fi