257: You Down With IDEs? Yea You Know Me!

3 Likes

y’all mentioned micro, I recently discovered micro and have been using it in place of nano which is what I have always used before in my very limited use of a text editor because a distro had it as the default instead of nano and while I don’t know how to do anything fancy or anything, but it seems easy to use, and I have liked it so far. Like ctrl+q seems to me to make more sense to quit than crtl+x.

2 Likes

That mustache is 100%, stick with it.

If you want a real brain bender, you probably have ed installed. A text editor older than vi initially released ~48 years ago.

1 Like

Thanks @dasgeek for my new email signature.

Vim will be my text editor from now until I can figure out how to exit.

2 Likes

When playing with BSD I use ee sometimes. It’s so simple and is built-in to freeBSD. Its honestly easier than nano.

1 Like

Now I know that exists. BSD is still cloaked in mystery for me… one day.

ee(1): easy editor - Linux man page

1 Like

I can’t find it in Ubuntu repos and it’s difficult to search for on the web. Kinda like searching for Awesome WM. If you’re a super geek and find exploring init systems a super duper fun way to spend a Friday evening then you’ll pick up BSD easy. Also if you don’t mind wifi driver issues circa Linux 2007 then that’s a bonus.

1 Like

Yeah i’m one of those weirdos that loves researching hardware compatibility so I just buy what’s right for what I want to run.

Turns out ee is in RPM Sphere Fedora repos:

https://pkgs.org/search/?q="Easy%20editor"

Nice, I found the source here: GitHub - herrbischoff/ee: ee — The easy editor. Archived here for posterity.

It’s worth noting this is a tty editor only. It won’t work in an interactive shell. I managed to compile the source from both the github link above and the source found in the RPM Sphere Fedora repos. Each source had different compile issues. Minor issues, as I fixed them without an C coding experience. It works great!

1 Like

Greetings:
Been using Linux for a long time, in fact I think I first discovered Linux back in 1990, possibly 1991 when Redhat was the only distribution I knew about because this is prior to the explosion of the Internet! I bought my copy from a local software store for like $10 and was not able to utilize that early version. Fast forward to 5 years later, FreeBSD was available for the price of the CDs and I don’t remember, but I was mainly focused on System Administration then and that was the bomb!! Long story short, I came back to Linux and began attending my local Linux Users Group (LUG) and the rest is history there. I was still only doing Sys Admin and learning C++ in college. So I was on MacOS for much of the last 10 years with occasional heading back to Windows. I then had a life-chnaging disability and started only being able to live on Social Security Disability. Back on Linux full time now, but only after DEEP disapointment with MacOS. Throughout my schooling I was studying Journalism and Mass Media and found my place in that world. So currently have the goal of pursuit of that passion now and want to do productiojn from conception to final product completely in Linux!

I appreciate your podcasts and gain a lot of information from them even though I am somewhat of a experienced user. But I learn new things often.

My comment after all this is: I am very interested in Video Editing and use an IDE (currently kind of NVIM or VS Code, with the preference being NVIM. Also really getting into Blender 3.0 and using that or Davinci Resolve for editing and haven’t tried Kdenlive because I hear it tends to do weitd stuff (like audio glitching), and so currently this is why Blender is my current goto.

Thanks.
J. Michael Needham

1 Like

I usually listen to the shows but this time I had to see Michael’s mustache! Wow.

3 Likes