Xfce 4.16 Released, This Is What's New

https://frontpagelinux.com/news/xfce-4-16-released-this-is-whats-new/

3 Likes

If instead of This Week in Linux it was This Week in XFCE… there’d be very little work to do and the show would be perfect every time :slight_smile:

1 Like

XFCE has always been bad to the bone. I’d use it if it took 2 gb

1 Like

Looks great! I’ll enjoy trying the new XFCE probably in Debian 11 in summer 2021, though I might see how it looks in a VM before that :slight_smile:

The freeze for Debian 11 is just ahead, and it’s great to see several projects (like XFCE) all putting out releases, seemingly just in time to make it in before this freeze. I’ll probably give this a go down the line when it gets into a stable release of MX Linux.

The new XFCE 4.16 features which actually matter to me would be the fractional scaling (finally, as I have a HiDPI display), and the ability to pause/resume file copying in Thunar.

1 Like

Well said! I totally agree.

Yes, it’s always pleasing when projects are lined-up for the Debian freeze and disappointing when they drop from stable. Once I have more experience of builds myself, I might look at package maintenance for Debian as it’s been my favourite OS for years and that’s unlikely to change.

2 Likes

Debian and XFCE are my favorites as well, I have been using both for over a decade. I too really hope that 4.16 makes it into Bullseye, I was really bummed that 4.14 didn’t make it into Buster, but it looks like they are off to a good start, as 4.16 was released on 12/22 and was accepted into unstable the next day, so it seems like they are making a serious effort to make it happen.

3 Likes

That’s great news.

1 Like