Whats with the lack of love

There’s a rapidly-declining sliding scale of popularity when it comes to distros (no matter the kernel type) in the Open Source world.

Check out this chart I made (from an older post). The stats are somewhat out of date, but the basic pattern hasn’t changed a bit:

So when you complain about the lack of coverage, or praise of some BSD distro, like say FreeBSD, you might as well be someone complaining about the lack of popularity of, say Puppy Linux, which is a niche distro with about equal popularity to FreeBSD these days.

One of the key takeaways I appreciated getting mentioned in the latest and final episode of LTT’s month-long Linux challenge (which was, for gamers, a big fail), was how distro fragmentation is doomed to keep Linux unpopular with the massive, highly-influential PC gaming crowd, because supporting all the games becomes a nightmare, when you have this plethora of distros to support.

So the OP is a vote for more fragmentation, more marginalized distros (like the BSDs) getting more appreciation, while I advocate in the opposite direction: less fragmentation is better (as in, it’s wisest to use one of the most popular Open Source Distros only - regardless of kernel type - like say from the top 10ish).

United we will stand, and divided, we will fall.

2 Likes