Project Mission Statement

In the project meeting today it was really positive to see everyone come prepared with their own ideas about what the project means to them and what they see as the most important aspect(s) for the project.
After everyone shared their ideas I have attempted to combine all of the themes and ideas into a single “mission statement” which we can use to guide the project and help share our goal with the wider community and participants. Hold on to your hats…

Our aim is to improve the quality of open-source by facilitating community participation in a way which respects each individual’s rights and contributions.

Bellow are the statements which I’ve tried to encapsulate, please share thoughts and feedback so we can make this as clear and ‘inspiring’ for everyone involved as possible (community participation :wink: )!

@goldfish92 - Connect a diverse group of users and developers to improve the overall quality of open source projects through testing and feedback.
@jakesco - A platform for matching distro developers with community members willing to do testing with specific hardware.
@kobberholm - “matching users to projects - dating site for users and developers”
@Ulfnic - Provide models and guides that can help other developers create projects and make a service of value to the open source community in the form of platform testing.
@demotep - Create a community that links open source projects with the people who use them and want to help and improve quality.
@mudlight48 - (Sorry, I lost what you posted after I left the Mumble chat, happy to update here)
@shaderoit - Include respecting user’s privacy as well as doing things in a secure sort of way.

Edit: V0.1 (phrased badly? put the most important statement about quality first)

Facilitate community participation to improve the quality of open-source in a way which respects each individual’s rights and contributions.

Edit: V0.2 (Prefix with “Our aim is” so that it reads better)

Improve the quality of open-source projects by facilitating community participation in a way which respects each individual’s rights and contributions.

2 Likes

FYI, ran it by a few people and reception has already been luke-warm :sweat_smile: draft number 3 imminent after some more feedback from the DLN community :slight_smile:
The feedback has been, “vague”, “structure of sentence” and whether “[is] facilitates is the correct word?”.

1 Like

I’m a DevOps guy, and would like to volunteer to help build the platform. Where can I go to sign up?

1 Like

@stobbsm most of the conversation is taking place over in this other thread. Regular meetings on Saturday at the moment but say hi and @Ulfnic can help you out.

P.S. I’m taking that as a vote of confidence in the mission statement :joy:

2 Likes

Yep. +1 for it, which is why I’m ok signing up.

Seeking ammendment: I said “hardware testing” but meant “platform testing”. Thanks @goldfish92 :slight_smile: