Power Supply Recommendations?

I just experienced a problem where one possible cause could be a failing power supply. I’m going to get in front of this quick. I can’t even remember when I bought this current power supply – 5 or 6 years ago.

DIY Desktop build:

• Asus motherboard P8P67
  • Intel i7-2600k
  • 8 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX-970
  • Drives
    • Samsung 860 SSD
    • 2 x WD Red WD40EFAX
  • Corsair CR750m Power Supply
  • This computer runs 24/7

I’m thinking I should upgrade this power supply during this swap. What are your recommendations for sizes and brands?

The problem is that when I plugged in an external USB drive, the lights on my keyboard went out and stayed out until I unplugged the external drive; during the 'blackout" the keyboard was non-functional and the external USB drive was not recognized. I plugged the external USB drive into my laptop and it worked fine.

This reminds be of 3 computers I have fixed for friends in the past where plugging a flash drive into a USB port caused the machine to reboot (momentary break in power). In all three machines a new power supply fixed the problem.

1 Like

Such a fantastic answer. Thank you! I didn’t even know that there was a PSU calculator.

1 Like

Suprising as Corsair is a pretty high quality company though 5-6yrs is a decent chunk of time by computer standards.

I’m a big fan of Tom’s Hardware so this may help too but astronaut’s recommendation is pretty solid.

2 Likes