Open Source EC Firmware

Why is no one publicly talking about this development from Purism (shipping with its new Librem 14s)? A fully open source firmware for EC functions seems huge.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I’ve never heard of it. This should be brought to the attention of the Hardware Addicts Podcast and see if they have a slot of time to cover it. @dasgeek @MichaelTunnell @TheWendyPower

3 Likes

They’re taking pre-orders for something that costs more than a higher performance machine from System76 that you can buy right now.

They’ve also had a bad track record with pre-orders so i’d understand why it’s not being covered till it’s available.

Librem 14 – Purism
vs
Galago Pro - System76

The physical switches are beautiful but System76 already charges a premium and Purism makes System76 look cheap.

1 Like

Indeed. From what i’ve heard from Chris Fisher, over on Jupiter Broadcast, he had a bad experience with ordering, waiting and receiving his laptop. From what i recall it seemed like an endless wait.
So i get it if there’s not all that much traffic about their products.
They’ll need to get up to par.

1 Like

First of all, welcome to the forum, @tk047! I hope you enjoy your time here in the community forum.

To address the topic at hand, I gave up on Purism a very long time ago. I do not think they deserve any praise or promotion as they have repeatedly missed their own deadlines, crowdfunded millions of USD from the community (with very little to show for it), refused to give refunds to backers (it’s been 4 years for some backers), every new product they make always has some issue with it, insult competitors for doing things they also have done, and so many more.

We have covered them on TWIL and DL in the past but at this point, they have burned way too many bridges in my opinion.

3 Likes

@MichaelTunnell covered it well. Through past interaction with the community the have shown themselves to be untrust worthy. It makes it very hard to share the word on products when you never know if the people who purchased them will ever get the hardware they paid for.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the responses. I have heard rumors and seen forums where people have complained about them, but didn’t realize it was that bad. My experience with ordering a Librem15 was pleasant and I received it in a week. If the firmware is open source and the entire community could benefit, I thought it was worth of discussion, even if it had been the NSA who released it. :upside_down_face:

True! It could be that they’re changing course, seeing that you had a good experience with the company.
But it’ll take time i’m afraid before the majority of the community will “accept” them again, i think.

1 Like

I’m glad you had a good experience. Hopefully whatever their behind the scenes issues were have been worked out. I’d like more hardware that came with opensource firmware. However, the have a lot of work to do in-order to counter the bad taste they left with prior interactions.

1 Like