Linux Hardware Compatability

How do I know what hardware is compatible with Linux? Specifically, I’m planning on building a new Desktop PC with KDENeon or Kubuntu. I do know of a resource by the name of linux-hardware.org, which is a service that tests the user’s PC for hardware compatibility for Linux. The problem is that some PCs fail these tests for whatever reason. I’m used to simply visiting the website, finding the specifications that states specifically which OS is compatible with that device.

If the live boot DLL for that OS is working then the installation will also. I’ve never had a machine which didn’t work, only some peripherals which are difficult to set up like keyboard lighting or finger print sensors, nothing to stop the system being usable.

2 Likes

^^^ What @gemmakaru said.

That plus a little research helps. I’d target the forum for that specific distro to see if there are any posts about the hardware in question.

I’ve found Linux compatibility is pretty good in generally as long as you’re not buying brand new. The carfuffle tends to be over distros that run an LTS Kernel so users need to wait for the next LTS for new hardware support, similarly a lot of people like their wireless drivers installed by default even if they’re proprietary, I think Kubuntu does this but not sure aboue KDENeon, they tend to be in repos either way.

The lists below may help along with your own research.

General

Some general links for sourcing FOSS compatible hardware.

Wireless

You want to pick your wireless device by it’s chipset.

If you need AC/AX/AD the driver will be proprietry so most distros will need to have it installed manually (usually in the repo). That’s not the case with Ubuntu/Kubuntu I think as they have them pre-installed.

1 Like

Does anybody have any of the hardware listed below? Since I’m brand new to building a desktop for linux, I would like to see if there are any compatibility
issues using Kubuntu or KDE Neon. I just want to see what your experiences
are and what to expect from this hardware. Thank you everybody for
the help.

Antec HCG850 Gold Power Supply
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
Mugen 5 Rev. B (‎SCMG-5100)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS (MZ-V7S250B/AM)

The pci-express adapters I have are Sapphire RX580, Creative X-FI Titanium HD, and D-link DWA-582. I would like to buy the ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS Wifi version if it’s compatible with linux. As for the BIOS settings, I’m very curious if there is anything I should know about regarding linux setup. For an example, In my current desktop with the Asus Sabertooth 990 FX R2.0, I already have the BIOS set to Other OS and everything works fine.

Thank you, I’ve got some research to do.

My guess is, you will have no issues with this hardware. I have similar things that have given me no issues. I am curious about the video card though. Likely, anything in the last couple years will just work, provided you install the correct drivers (read: Nvidia).