Laptop is spamming syslog message about my ethernet connection (via USB-C dock) and I lose my ethernet connection

I have a USB-C dock connected to my 4th gen ThinkPad X1 Yoga, and I have a 1080p display, ethernet, external SSD & peripherals connected to that dock.

This message keeps spamming my notifications:

Message from syslogd@Kuroneko-ThinkPadX1Yoga4th at Dec 10 19:39:40 ...
kernel:[115379.359432] unregister_netdevice: waiting for enx70886b8e5a2e to become free. Usage count = 12

This occasionally happens whenever I unplug my laptop from the dock, which prevents the laptop from sleeping. However, this is the first time it happens while the device is running and remained plugged in.

Any way to permanently fix that?

1 Like

If I was smart enough to answer this i’d be on a tropical beach somewhere replying from a System76 laptop.

1 Like

Hi YamiYukiSenpai, I had a look at the brand Cable Matters and it says that it is compatible with Linux.

Have you tried the following:

• Upgraded the firmware on the device. - if you go to the Cable Matters website, the firmware is available there (only for Windows/Mac, but you could try running it with Wine or in a VM.
  • Removing some of the connected devices one by one, to check that it is not a specific device causing the issue.
  • What is your output of dmesg and lsusb if you don’t mind.

I’m still unable to include links in my posts unfortunately, otherwise I would link to the firmware.

If this happens again, I’ll let you know.

Thanks.

1 Like

Please do, I’ll be here to help.

Sorry for late update. I plugged this into my work laptop (Windows 10), and there weren’t any firmware updates for it.

Ha ha no worries, it doesn’t matter how many months later it is, I’m here to help :wink:

Thank you for trying that. Did you try the other suggestions I had posted before? If after all of that it is still not working, could show the output of dmesg and lsusb please?

Does the dock also display the same issues when connected to your Windows 10 laptop?

1 Like

If after everything it is still not working, it might just be easier to get one of the Lenovo docks (Noah was always saying how good those were), as they have excellent support for Linux.

Something like this:

https://support.lenovo.com/jp/en/solutions/acc500106-thinkpad-usb-c-dock-gen-2-overview-and-service-parts

Here is the dmesg output of someone who tested it too:

https://linuxwiki.de/LinuxHardware/Docks/Lenovo/Thinkpad_USB-C-Dock-Gen2

If it was very frequent, I’d consider it. However, since it’s once in a blue moon, not right now, especially since I just built my $6k Ryzen gaming PC (running Kubuntu, of course).

And I’ve spent extra making my setup amazing.

Lovely, I hope you enjoy your new PC!

1 Like

I hit a rough spot at first (defective 6900XT) but it’s now running awesomely.