How can the forum be improved?

You can hotlink images into posts over https. If you have access to a server it could be a workaround.

2 Likes

My issue is finding threads after they’re removed from my “unread” and “new” list in the menu. Old threads that have new replies don’t show up under “latest” because thats sorted by date of creation not most recent reply. And if a thread has a lot of words common to a Linux forum its hard to search as well.

1 Like

What does ANS stand for?

1 Like

Strange… Latest shows me the latest replies whatever the creation of the thread. Maybe it’s a setting in discourse ?

Ask Noah Show

1 Like

The upload limit appears to be 4MB by default.

Despite that the largest image I can upload is 505kb (as a test user and under my main account)

I ran a test upload of 600kb and it hung at [Processing: megaduck-600kb.jpg...]()

More importantly there was no “Uploading” bar at the bottom, no errors in JS console or Network activity so I think something else is borking up the process and it’s probably? on the client-side.

It may be a tricky one to nail down.

2 Likes

Ask Noah Show used to be posted but they were creating confusion because Noah uses his own platform for his audience and doesn’t use the forum.

As for adding ANS now, please see the following thread:

Could be user error as well…

On my test and main accounts i’m seeing “Latest” column ordered by Activity time. Any chance you could confirm it’s the same for you using this link?

https://forum.tuxdigital.com/latest

Just need to figure out a steps-to-reproduce.

Personally, I’d like to see more interactivity. The content creators are doing an excellent job, but with COVID still lingering, there’s a complete lack, at least in my area, of LUG activity.

I’d love to see a monthly “LUGFEST” here, or maybe some regional online activity.

1 Like

If you host it i’ll be there.

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t have the personality for it. I’m introverted and, usually, don’t like to talk much. Although, I try to hide my introversion as much as possible.

You could look at the new structure applied to the Fedora Discussion site (that’s a discourse instance as well)

1 Like

I think you’d be surprised by how many people who’d follow you. I’ve never been to a LUG but I think it’s just about being around people you like for X minutes/hours with the topic being Linux, I don’t think anyone needs to say anything but in that environment things tend to come up.

1 Like

Good point

During the thread on games that work out of the box in Linux, I had to do a bunch of workarounds, ( and learned GIMP for the first time… So not so bad maybe?! ) and it was kind of painful for other things that I just didn’t have time to explain.

Has anyone looked at linking between the Matrix and the forum? I know the Fedora team set up some links.

I don’t think we’d want all content, but for major threads, or the new show announcements maybe?

3 Likes

We are introducing a new show to the network that will effectively be a weekly LUG. :smiley:

We also have a Patron Post Show LUG every week after Destination Linux and This Week in Linux.

Latest is sorted by most recent activity not based on created date. If a thread receives a comment then it is bumped to the top of the list.

ANS is no longer part of the network.

The limit is 4MB so I don’t know why you would have a smaller limit BUT at the same time I’d request people not upload excessive files anyway.

For example, are the images you want to upload large because they are in PNG format? Do they need to be in PNG format? PNG is typically 10x the size of a JPG file. Most of the time, a JPG is just fine. :smiley:

I think they do it through the RSS Bot system and that is an interesting suggestion. I will look into it further. That could work quite nicely of using the Matrix room to also cross post to Telegram.

Yeah, I was having an issue a while ago. Turns out it was a combination of underestimating how many threads get comments in 2 days and apparently going blind. I have made the habit of bookmarking these threads in the meantime.

I like the idea of a user led LUG. No formality, no time limit, no pressure. I usually head to meet.opensuse.org/bar when I have Linux questions or want to chat about BBQing or any random thing.

This sounds great!

1 Like

It is very easy to setup Matrix integration (and most any other platform) using the Chat Integration plugin. Admin sets parameters by category / tag / ignore… and it works from there.

Without this, you could use an RSS Bot in Matrix to subscribe to “Latest” or a similar rss feed from Discourse.