Help with Xubuntu weirdness

I need some help getting Xubuntu installed. I think the ISO is messed up with 19.04 Let me know

I cannot install Xubuntu 19.04 on my pc. I’m not sure why this is. Is the ISO corrupted!. I tried writing it to USB multiple times and downloading it multiple times. This is the first for me this has happened been on Linux for long very long time. So i’m thinking the ISO is bad i installed Kubuntu 19.04 and it worked fine. I boot the LiveCD and the icons and panel are not right they are old ubuntu icons and the panel goes white looks very weird. I also tried switching USB sticks and with the same result.

I 'm running RX 590 AMD card
CPU is 2nd gen 2600k i7
16GB of Ram

I also posted it in the Ubuntuforums here if you guys want to go there and post.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2429085&p=13896929#post13896929

From the 2nd gen age of the processor I wonder is the graphics card is so old the included drivers don’t support it as the problems you report are with the looks and graphics. I’m no expert here, I tend to stick to boring old Intel graphics. I hope one of the (many) nVidia experts passes by and recognises the symptoms if that’s the case.

Do the release notes say anything about changes to what’s included or left out of the Xubuntu 19.04? Compare with the Kubuntu release notes to see if there’s a difference. It may be you just need to get it working enough to download a more appropriate driver.

I’m just thinking aloud…

1 Like

@TerryL NO the graphics card is new Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC w/ Backplate Special Edition

I’m not sure really whats going on its strange i think the ISO is messed up on Xubuntu’s end but idk. Because Kubuntu works fine and installs. let me check again just to make sure Kubuntu works. this was a couple of month I tried it.

Maybe try this software to put the ISO image on flash drive. Seems to be very popular right now, and functions well.

1 Like

That’s what i always use to write my ISO’s Etcher is great.

1 Like

There is no checksum of the ISO you can check with?

1 Like

yeah i did it. it was fine

No errors, or other strange messages displayed?

1 Like

Well, I have to say one thing Xubuntu guys need to re-upload refresh ISO. It’s buggy. I managed to install Xubuntu 19.04 this time right now I’m on it. But I would not recommend it to a new user at all. until they get stuff sorted out. I only got one error something about missing something on CD/DVD in the ISO. which is weird. I also didn’t use GParted to partition this time or else i think the install hangs. I just used the installer to make my root partition and the 2nd time i did it it went all the way through.

Now i’m on xubuntu yaaaay
:smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

I can sympathise but I don’t think the ISO is faulty on the website or everyone else (including me, I’m using Xubuntu 19.04) would have had the same problem.

If your computer wasn’t probably new (if your graphics card is new) I’d wonder if your RAM was faulty, and it might be worth trying a different USB stick too in case it’s writing a good image to a screwed USB stick, I’ve had problems in the past with installs being crashy that were resolved by changing install media.

All that being said, if you’re on it now then great, problem sort of solved.

1 Like