Fun with Darktable

Hey gang, upload your photos that you processed using Darktable here. Share your settings and techniques so that we can all benefit from each other’s expriences. If you want an image critiqued tag it with #critique.

1 Like

I will start:
Half Dome - Yosemite National Park
June 2019
Fuji X-Pro2 + 18-135mm lens
Shot RAW and processed using Darktable 3.0 using a Linear RGB workflow.

4 Likes

From a concert I shot this weekend:

Nikon Z7 + 24-70mm f4 lens
Darktable 3.0 + Linear RGB on 14-bit NEF file.

4 Likes

ISO 12,800 Test!
Nikon Z7 + Adapted Canon 35mm f/2 FD SSC lens at f/2
Processed and denoised in darktable 3.0 (linear RGB)

5 Likes

I love the keyboard.

Drop Alt with the high-profile case, Kaihl Box Navy switches and Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty Keycap Set.

1 Like

My Best Friend by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

This was taken using an adapted manual focus Canon lens on my Nikon Z7. Processed with darktable (the devs have specifically stated that the name should be all lower case.

3 Likes

Ruby on the Road by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 + Nikkor 24-70mm f/4 S lens
Processed with darktable 3.0

My wife was driving.

2 Likes

Sony A7 + sony fe50mm
1/3200 s • f/1.8 • 50 mm • ISO 100
Mainly just lens correction in darktable

I particularly like the bee.

1 Like

Blue Jay in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho

Here is a screenshot from Darktable that shows the changes and camera info. I brought up the blues to make him look more like he looked to my eye. He was also moving so fast he didn’t give me any time to change settings.

4 Likes

Beauty shot of my Atreus62 keyboard.

• Nikon Z7
  • 7Artisans 35mm f/1.4 @ f/8
  • 1/15s @ ISO 12800
  • Processed in darktable 3.0.2 using tone manipulation via the Tone Equalizer and sharpened using the Lowpass Module
3 Likes

A small creek in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho

• Nikon D7200
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
  • ISO 100
  • f/8.0
  • 4-second exposure
  • I used an ND and L.PL filter
  • Darktable 3.0.2
  • Decreased exposure half a stop; increased black level 0.0010; increased greens in the Color Zone module; applied sharpening with the Contrast Equalizer module
13 Likes

Wow. Amazing shot.

Thank you!

Miami Tower

• Nikon Z7
  • 7Artisans 35mm F/1.4 Lens
  • ISO 12,800
  • f/8.0
  • 1/40s exposure handheld
  • Darktable 3.0.2
  • Deceased exposure, adjusted black levels, noise reduction via profile NR module, sharpened with lowpass filter and added signature.
6 Likes

Taken with an Olympus FE-115. Focus isn’t quite right, but I don’t think it’s half bad for an old point & shoot :upside_down_face:. I’ll wait for a bit of sunshine and try the shot again.

1 Like

Just a suggestion: Try shifting your position to the right so the branch in the foreground has less clutter in the background. It doesn’t have to be in the center. Also set your aperture as wide as possible (small number). If you do that (and nail the focus), you will have a very interesting shot.

Suggested reading (Google these topics):
Golden Mean in photo composition
Bokeh

2 Likes

Shot at the local speedway this weekend, just as a spectator through the fence.

1/60 to blur out the fence in front of me, and also to keep ISO native as micro four thirds isn’t flash once I start pushing it higher. The background blur is also nice, which I have been practicing at other events as well at lower shutter speeds.

Shot on Panasonic Lumix G85 with 100-300mm version2: 1/60, f/8.0, 200ISO, 170mm (340mm fullframe equiv)

These are all fairly default, except highpass which is 12% sharpen and 20% contrast, then blend mode set to overlay at 75%
RGB Curve is medium contrast preset.
Oh and Base Curve is Panasonic with 3 exposure fusion, bias at zero/centre.

4 Likes

“The Curious One”

I was casually taking pictures of my one of my cats, when she heard the shutter and came right up to take a close look.

Camera: Fujifilm X-A7
Lens: 15-45mm, F3.5-5.6 (The kit lens for that camera)
Settings: Shutter speed 1/180s; Focal Length 45mm; F5.6;

I used RawTherapee, but I assume that’s equally valid for this thread… see processing steps below.
Screenshot_20210118_210455

3 Likes

I’ve been walking past this interesting looking tree on my daily walk for a few weeks now, and finally brought my camera along.

Gear

• Fujifilm X-A7
  • Fuji XC 15-45mm f/3.5 - 5.6

Settings

• 45mm
  • Aperture Priority mode at f/5.7
  • Shutter speed 1/420 seconds
  • ISO 200

Editing (in RawTherapee)

1. Enable “Black and White” using destaturation
  2. Fiddle with the red and green channels under Gamma Correction to darken the field and bushes slightly.
3 Likes