Folding at Home

Ok, this is a place marker since I’ve finally got my Nvidia GPU added to the /etc/fahclient/config.xml file. Basically, you need to install the ocl-icd-opencl-dev package. I’m currently experimenting with Pop OS 19.10 btw.

I’ll document the entire install within a day or two. I have to get a bunch of paperwork done first. sigh

1 Like

Any idea what I need to install to add my RX 560 to the config?

You should just need OpenGL, and you can go into FAHControl client, hit the Config button, hit the Expert tab, and look for a “GPU: False” flag. Change that to true and then use the Slots tab to add the GPU.

Thanks. I’m using manjaro, so I don’t have a client interface. Edited the config file to add:

<slot id='1' type='GPU' />

Restarted the service and now both my CPU and GPU are running it. :slight_smile:

PS: To other Arch/Manjaro users.
The config is located in /var/lib/private/fah/config.xml. You need sudo/root rights to see/edit the file.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/fahcontrol/

1 Like

One package is enough for me. I just use the config file directly. :slight_smile:
But thanks.

Also, the fahcontrol package is a python2/gtk2 package, so will probably be not be working for long, since Arch is trying to get rid of Python 2. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a dependency error on the FAHControl file, python2 if I remember correctly. It didn’t install in Pop OS, but did in Manjaro. (from the AUR). If your having a issue with your GPU not showing up, check out the log.txt file that’s located in /var/lib/fahclient directory.

Regarding the Wiki on Arch and FAH. It’s out of date, and points to the /opt/fah , when it now actually installs to /usr/bin, and the actual config.xml is in /etc/fahclient directory. FYI.

That’s all I got for now, have to go pick up the wife. :wink:

I just installed Folding At Home on my PC running on KDE Neon, and I’m getting a segmentation fault

$ FAHControl
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fah/FAHControl.py:193: GtkWarning: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
  settings = gtk.settings_get_default()
Loading theme 'Default'
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fah/FAHControl.py:758: GtkWarning: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
  gtk.rc_reparse_all_for_settings(settings, True)
Segmentation fault

I tried installing adwaita-icon-theme-full but that didn’t work.